Blog 8 - Thinking pink isn’t enough…


Thinking pink isn’t enough…

October sees the arrival of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and for me a year since I went to my GP and the painful, expensive process of biopsies, ultrasounds, mammograms began.
Truth be told, even though I had thought I had found a lump, I probably wouldn’t have gone for that check-up had it not been free, as part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Whilst I didn’t check my breasts regularly, I had noticed a lump which was quite hard, but I’d kind of fobbed it off and assumed it was all OK. I didn’t track the lump enough to realise that it didn’t come and go with my periods in the same way as the rest of the tissue in my breast changed (as my Dr put it, I was ‘lumpy bumpy’ so it was always going to be hard to self-examine).
Plus, I was healthy, active and far too young, so obviously it wasn’t going to be serious!!!

Fast forward a year and I can confirm that cancer doesn’t discriminate.
It doesn’t care if you are young, old, male, female, BRCA+, BRCA-.

The lump that I could feel, that was hard like a marble, near my breastbone was a ductal carcinoma. Then the ultrasound highlighted two more lumps that neither I nor the Doctors could feel, almost under my armpit, a different carcinoma. None of which would have been spotted without that free breast exam.

Over the last few weeks of October I have thrown myself into ‘Thinking Pink’!

My netball team has pink kit.
I’ve contributed to an amazing awareness video that’s doing the rounds online.
My students have pink accessories to go with their netball kit.
I coach them with pink highlights in my hair.
I’m giving out pink ribbons to my friends to pin on their clothes.
I’m presenting awareness assemblies at schools in the area.
I’ve done fun runs in my pink awareness vest top and crazy pink leggings.

But…thinking pink isn’t enough.

I’m sure we’ve all participated in the charity events this month, eaten the pink cupcakes, liked a post on Facebook…but how many of us have actually checked ourselves.
Both men and women, young and old...educate yourselves.
Identify your normal.
Take action, early diagnosis saves lives!


Follow me on Instagram for more pics of me doing crazy PINK things this month! 
Instagram: s_donovan78

Check out our ‘Life with breast cancer video’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFoHlCXPOMQ










Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 7 – The upside to cancer?

Blog 6 – Radiotherapy, chemo’s less popular sibling!

Blog 4 - The hardest thing I have ever done...